Happy Wednesday ASW Readers!! Many of you know that I work out and eat healthy as often as I can, so over the Christmas break I wanted to try a new workout routine, that is where Yoga came into play. I’m a cardio girl so switching it up was a huge adjustment for me. After seeing Tia Mowry engage in Yoga and tape a video doing it, I thought it would be pretty cool to try it out in the comfort of my own home. I found her DVD online and ordered the beginner version and waited patiently for it to arrive in the mail.
My first experience doing yoga was interesting, funny, and extremely tiresome. It started out great but after about 10 minutes into the video I was sweating profusely and my feet were sliding off the mat lol. Not only was I sliding off the mat but I was not able to do the leg movements that Tia and super yogi Tara Stiles demonstrated, which was a little frustrating but I understood why. Needless to say, I was sore by the day after but I didn’t give up. I started up two days later and it went a lot better.
Tia Mowry’s Cora Yoga DVD is on sale for $9.95. Click here to order!
6 Yoga Tips for Beginners
1. Start with an entry level course. Check your local YMCA, Gym, or Yoga Studio for class schedules.
2. Choose the right mat for you. Mats range from $10 to $80 and some are thin and others are extremely thick. Some mats are made for hot yoga instead of room temp so make sure that you choose the one that is best fitting for you.
3. Understand the names. Some classes may be called Power, Bikram, Vinyasa, Classical, Lyengar, Kripalu, etc. Each class does different exercises and targets different areas of the body.
4. Remember to relax and breathe
5. Child’s Pose. This is a resting pose which is used commonly in Yoga (This is one of my favorite poses lol)
6. Trial and Error. Don’t be afraid to try different classes because you will eventually find a class.
Pinterest also has some great ideas so click HERE to for more information!
I partake in Yoga once a week and I still stick with my regular cardio routine and weight lifting. Since doing yoga over the past few weeks I am more limber than I have been in a couple of years. From following this video it has also strengthened my abs as well. All in all, I am happy with my results thus far and I will give you all an update later on in the year once I move to a different type of yoga.
What are your thoughts on doing Yoga?